Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Parents Demand Right to Screen and Select FOR Genetic Deafness in UK

Jackie Ballard of the Royal National Institute for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People in the United Kingdom is pushing for the right of parents to intentionally create a child with hereditary deafness.

"Jackie Ballard, a former Liberal Democrat MP, says that although the vast majority of deaf parents would want a child who has normal hearing, a small minority of couples would prefer to create a child who is effectively disabled, to fit in better with the family lifestyle."

"A clause in the Human Tissue and Embryos Bill, which is passing through the House of Lords, would make it illegal for parents undergoing embryo screening to choose an embryo with an abnormality if healthy embryos exist."

I am neither deaf nor hard of hearing, and do not pretend to understand what it would be like to exist in a world without sound. I enjoy music, don't much like the sound of my own voice, and find the clacking of my hedgehog's wheel in the middle of the night very calming. I enjoy the tick-tick of my fingers on the keyboard as I type a blog post, and it would surely startle me if people could walk up behind me without the sound of footsteps to give them away. However, does that mean that my life has more intrinsic value than the life of a deaf or hard of hearing person?

This puts me in mind of a blog post by Deafmom, in which she describes the deafness that runs in her family and the long, slow process by which her family discovered its cause.

"It turns out that we have a rare gene that is passed on through the females in our family. A gene so rare at this point that only two other families in the world have been identified."

"On one hand, it is quite interesting to have some information about this gene and how it travels through the generations. There's a name for it, a way to explain to others what's happening in our family.

On the other hand, it opens us up to information that is sometimes better off left alone."


The article in the Sunday Times goes on to explore the arguments for the right to select FOR deafness:

"There are a small minority of activists who say that there is a cultural identity in being born deaf and that we should not destroy that cultural identity by preventing children from being born deaf.”

A small minority of activists? Again, I am not deaf, but I would say that the majority of people who ARE deaf or hard of hearing who describe themselves as activists would agree with this statement. Would the eugenics supporters in the UK who would like the measure prohibiting the selection of a deaf embryo like the world to lose the skill of sign language? It's hard to learn to sign when you can hear quite well- I know, I've tried, and all I managed to pick up was a few insults!

Deafmom mentioned in the comments on the above blog post that her daughter has a great perspective on being hard of hearing, and that she does not think her daughter will mind knowing that she is very likely to have deaf or hard of hearing children.

Shouldn't the decision of whether or not to eliminate deafness from the family's gene pool, if given the choice, be left to people who have experienced deafness as a part of their personality, self, identity, and culture, and who have examined the choice fully- rather than to lawmakers, who, like me, can't imagine being deaf?

8 comments:

cripchick said...

the same discussions are exploding in the LP [little people] community. have you seen philosophercrip's blog on disaboom? he posts about similar stuff. :)

Veralidaine said...

I have so much admiration for philosophercrip's blog- his posts go waaaay over my head sometimes! It really expands my mind to spend some time reading them. I didn't see anything about this issue on there yet- I must have missed it since I only discovered his blog a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the tip, off to check it out!

Ettina said...

"Shouldn't the decision of whether or not to eliminate deafness from the family's gene pool, if given the choice, be left to people who have experienced deafness as a part of their personality, self, identity, and culture, and who have examined the choice fully- rather than to lawmakers, who, like me, can't imagine being deaf?"

Exactly. Makes me glad the cause of autism isn't known yet.

Anonymous said...

ALthough Ms Ballard appeared tosupport deaf children by choice,in her capacity as RNID CEO this is not the groups official stance, in fact the bottom line of the RNID declaration was in favour only of the hearing gene being used ! This was rather a poor attempt by a new CEO at the RNID to ingrate herself with grass root 'Deaf', in fact he group has next to no members from the cultural deaf community.

Veralidaine said...

Ettina- One of my favorite quotes is from Tempel Grandin- "What if the autism gene were eliminated from the gene pool? You'd have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done!"

Anonymous- That's very interesting. I didn't know that- in my defense, I'm not from the UK. Maybe Ballard honestly wants to reach out to deaf culture and open a dialogue?

Anonymous said...

That's fine. In fact I met Ms Ballard personally a few weeks ago in my own area, and there was rather 'heated exchange' to be completely honest. I'm not alone in feeling her group doesn't want 'Deaf' people in it. As a 'new broom' I wanted her to sweep clean !

I met her before a major meeting and she didn't sign at all, admitted in her previous jobs she never considered access for deaf people either. I asked would she consider learning some basic sign ? she said 'perhaps'.

She is a failed politician, so trying to use a bit of controversy to give the appearance she is for us, it would help, if the group actually HIRED deaf people, they are predominately hearing people, so we get no say really or inclusion. I don't like her using politics to score points from us.

She could have, as CEO of her group, made a public GROUP declaration to respect (Or not), the right of having a deaf child, she did NOT do that. As a personal view it counts for nothing really.

I campaigned after traveling 100s of miles to the London centre office, only to be refused admission. I managed to leave a 21 point flyer explaining what deaf people would like to see from her and her group which claims to support 9 million in the UK.

As with our face to face meeting promises were made, so far, none have been discussed or implemented, out of sight, out of mind. There were I gather 5 separate deaf boards set up against her group too, after the RNID banned it's open forum because the deaf complained about inclusion.

Veralidaine said...

By the way, if you are interested in this post, you might also like DeafMom's post on the topic (and PhilosopherCrip's comments relating it to the LP community) here: http://community.disaboom.com/community/deafmom/archive/2007/12/26/taking-away-my-daughter-s-ability-to-have-deaf-kids.aspx

PhilosopherCrip's first comment is particularly thought-provoking.

Liesl said...

This is how I read your post:

Oh, interesting, I'll have to think about that... la la la... OHMYGOD, SHE HAS A HEDGEHOG! WANT ONE! WANT ONE! WANT ONE!! The rest? um... did have anything to do with hedgehogs? ;->

Seriously, great post and very interesting topic. Love the Tempel Grandin quote, too. I wonder if she ever worked with hedgehogs? Ah crap, there I go again.